I am dedicating this journal to my grandmother and my mother.
They both had a "green thumb",
and I am running out of time to learn everything they new about gardening.

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Gardening in a Box


Hello, Gardeners!

Two "green thumbs" up to all of you!

Until last year, my mom's "duty" was to take care of gardening in our tiny back yard. Her doctors explicitly forbid her to garden now, due to progressing diabetic retinophaty. I had to take over...


We both enjoyed gardening long ago, across the "pond", in so called "collective garden" lot. I frequently think about what might have happened to the fruit trees that we have planted more than two decades ago.


Now, after so many years, I am re-learning to take care of things that grow, bloom and provide fruits, berries and vegetables. Most importantly, they provide beauty, and serenity to our souls.


I am dedicating this journal to my mom and my grandmother. They both had a "green thumb", and I am running out of time to learn everything they new (my grandma Sofija passed away in 1991, and my mom will soon celebrate 80th birthday.)

Last year, to boost our sinking economy, our government granted us a tax rebate. The suggestion that followed was to spend it. I did just that. I purchased a frame for my raised garden and several bags of fertile soil to fill up the frame and some pots. This journal will describe things that are growing in a raised garden, and in several small patches of garden soil around my home (alongside garage, in front of the house, in pots). Visitors of our garden also have a place in these stories, just as they have a place in our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment